Asian Wild Salmon Bowl
Talk about healthy! Did you know that Sockeye salmon is always wild? That means that wild sockeye salmon always has lots of healthy protein, anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy omega 3 fats, selenium–which is great for optimal thyroid function and astaxanthin, a powerful antioxidant.
I added shiitake mushrooms to the riced cauliflower to add a rich depth of flavor. Shiitake mushrooms are prized for their health benefits. Compounds in shiitake may help fight cancer, boost immunity, and support heart health. Shiitakes are known for their longevity benefits.
And topping off this bowl is an assortment of cruciferous vegetables like red cabbage and riced cauliflower, that fight cancer, help the body eliminate excess estrogens (men too), add fiber and have powerful anti-inflammatory benefits. I hope you enjoy every bite–not only because it tastes great but because it’s full of the highest quality nutrition you can get!
Once you know the ‘formula’ for making this recipe, you can use a variety of vegetables in it.
The basics are: Wild caught salmon, riced cauliflower base, some fresh veggies to top it, and seasoning with garlic, fresh ginger, GF soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a squeeze of lime.
Here’s the version I made for dinner:
Wild Sockeye Salmon Asian Bowl
- Fresh or frozen (thawed) sockeye salmon pieces
- Small bag of frozen riced cauliflower (Trader Joe’s has this, so does Whole Foods)
- Handful of mushrooms, sliced (I used Shiitake but you can use any kind)
- Minced fresh garlic and ginger—a teaspoon or so
- 1 TBSP olive oil,
- 2 tsp GF soy sauce
- Splash of rice vinegar
- Roasted sweet red chili sauce
- Add riced cauliflower, olive oil, and a little bit of water to saute pan. Add sliced mushrooms, ginger and garlic. Cover with lid and simmer in a pan on medium heat for about 20 minutes. When cauliflower is cooked and mushrooms are tender, add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and red chili sauce to taste.
- Chop up Asian style veggies in thin slices, set aside. You can use a variety of fresh veggies here: red cabbage, napa cabbage, bok choy or baby bok choy, kale, etc.
- Green onions, sliced thinly
- Sweet red bell pepper, quartered and sliced thinly
- Grill a 2-4 pieces of sockeye salmon on grill, starting skin side up, then flip.
- Dish up the cauliflower rice mixture in a shallow bowl. Add salmon and then distribute the fresh sliced veggies, add a squeeze of lime, a sprinkle of soy sauce if desired and a dollop of the sweet red chili sauce. Enjoy! Serves 2-4.