Power up your Immune System
As this last pandemic has shown us, we need to be ready and able to fight off contagious viruses, bacteria and other dangerous pathogens, and to not stress about our ability to do so.
We don’t just have to sit and wait for a vaccine when the flu or a new virus hits; there are real ways you can beef up your own immune system to fight off most everything and feel confident your body can handle it. Our bodies were made to fight off viruses and pathogens, that is how we have evolved for thousands of years.
Our immune systems can absolutely be strengthened
There are key ways to help your body become better at fighting off contagious diseases.
Most importantly, we need to lower inflammation in our bodies. Inflammation is a sign that our immune system is already working overtime and may not be able to handle the onslaught of another battle. When we lower inflammation, we raise our immune function. Reducing inflammation with a few diet and lifestyle changes will power up your immune function to fight infectious illnesses.
Here are a few PROVEN methods–and these are things I suggest everyone follow every fall and winter and especially when traveling:
- Avoid all forms of sugar and refined grains.
- Be sure to include loads of colorful antioxidant rich vegetables, naturally raised meat/fish poultry and healthy fats.
- Avoid processed seed oils like soybean oil, canola oil, corn oil, sunflower oil and other vegetable oils. These omega 6 oils are highly inflammatory. Extra virgin olive oil and avocado oils are recommended instead.
- Avoid alcohol or limit yourself to only ONE drink a day. Alcohol not only causes mutated cells which can lead to cancer, but alcohol also destroys the gut microbiome, increases inflammation and lowers your immune function.
- Don’t hide at home—being around others actually helps you stimulate your immune system to build up its defenses better. But do avoid repeated exposure to someone who is sick.
- Wash your hands after being out and about. Washing your hands not only gets rid of viruses, but other dangerous pathogens like E. coli and salmonella that can cause illnesses.
- Get 7-8 hours sleep regularly. Avoid electronic devices before bed, they disrupt and decrease melatonin.
- Get outside in the daylight and get at least 30 minutes of exercise daily if possible.
- Don’t smoke.
- Avoid stressful situations and stressful people, if at all possible.
Key supplement suggestions to build up your immune strength
Nutritional supplements can give you a major edge against fighting disease. If you are already taking some of these just add in the immune boosters in bold print. Here’s the top ones I recommend:
- A high-quality multivitamin
- Vitamin C 2,000 to 5,000 mg a day
- Vitamin B complex with methylfolate and methylcobalamin
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Glutathione (master antioxidant to fight disease and help with energy)
And if you’ve been exposed to someone sick or feel like you are coming down with something—take the above and:
–Increase vitamin C to 5,000 or more Mg per day (divided dosages)
-Increase zinc to 100 mg per day with quercetin
-Get plenty of rest
-Be sure to avoid ALL sugar and alcohol
Your Immune System strength is within control. Don’t give up power over it and realize that your mind, too is a powerful immune weapon on its own. Believing that you have a powerful immune system that will fight off invaders is very important. Keep that mind and body connection going. You are in control of your health!
Need help finding high quality, low cost supplements? Join my Longevity membership and get 25% off top quality, physician-grade supplements, along with meal plans, recipes and the latest health information.