A wonderful, festive holiday salad, good any time of the year. We loved it! I hope you love it too!
- 1 Bunch of dinosaur kale or baby kale
- ½ cup or so of pomegranate seeds
- 1 small or half large butternut squash, cubed and baked
- handful of sunflower seeds, almonds, or pumpkin seeds
- 1 orange, squeezed
- ½ lemon or lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Massage kale with a rolling pin. This makes it much more tender to chew. De-stem kale and chop in small bite-sized pieces.
- Cube the squash and toss in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, a tsp or so of maple syrup, salt, pepper and a tiny sprinkle of cayenne (optional). Bake in a 400F degree oven for 15 minutes or so until soft. May need to be stirred on baking sheet halfway. Remove from oven when tender and still slightly firm, and cool.
- Add kale to salad bowl with pomegranate seeds, squash, and sunflower seeds. Mix up dressing, toss and serve. This salad works well if you want to make it ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
Wishing you good health and a soaring spirit.